>> May 23, 2012
Integrated business software solutions have grown to include so many elements of business, such as business accounting, online induction, content management, and learning management systems. Corporate compliance is an extremely important area of any business. It is even more so when we are handling a lot of confidential information. Here are some essentials of what you need when you are considering the purchase of a learning management application, and what you are going to need after that purchase. In the world of technology, everything has a very limited lifespan.
● Your vendor should know business. The company that is providing the software should be more than one that knows how to develop software, they should know how well it works in business. Developing your own software can be very expensive, and so off-the-shelf applications that can be modified are a very good option. You don’t want someone who is just selling you an application for the sake of a sale to be dealing with you. You want a provider who knows business, knows the software, and who has experience. It is even better if they have experience in your particular industry. Some providers will have a number of consultants who specialise in certain fields.
● Willing to spend time with you. While a software package can be bought, installed and used immediately, this is obviously not what you are looking for. You are looking for a company that is willing to spend time with you to make sure you are purchasing what you need.
● Ability to modify. Software that can be tailored to suit your needs is a must. Every company will have a certain amount of individuality, and this must be catered for. You also want software that you can modify yourself. Content management systems that are used for websites can also be applied to staff training and compliance training content. This way you can create your own testing, training and compliance pathway for operations. Flexible software that grows with your needs is essential.
● Training. An extensive and sophisticated training system has to be taught by those who know how to train. The company that provides the software should also have qualified trainers who can demonstrate to your people. Just because they know the application does not mean they are good at showing you and your people how to use it.
● Up-to-date. There is nothing static about your business, and there is nothing static about the law. Software that is regularly upgraded to stay in tune with technology and workplace requirements is of an absolute must. When you purchase software, you should essentially be purchasing a long-term service. You are not making a one-off buy.
A sophisticated learning system requires much more support than many expect. You should make sure you are not just dealing with a salesman, but with an experienced consultant who has your interests at heart.