>> Aug 30, 2012
If you are planning to change your waterbed, make sure that you don’t throw away the frame, as it is both useful and looks good too. So, what exactly can you do with it? Simple, just change it to a memory foam bed. If you are even slightly comfortable with using tools, then you can do the makeover of your waterbed mattress yourself. Follow these 5 simple steps and you will be able convert the water bed mattresses into memory foam easily.
- Take Accurate Measurements - Take the measurements of the length and width of the inside of the waterbed frame. Do not forget to measure the depth of the opening. After taking the measurements, add about 6 inches to the depth. This will help in cushioning the edges of the bed when you are sitting on it.
- Purchase the Right foam - The firm foam will help to create the support for the memory foam that is softer in nature. Use foam that would fill up at least 10 inch of the space. Also, you can trim the foam according to the size of your bed in case your bed is not of the standard size.
- Search for the Right Memory Foam – It is absolutely necessary to take the memory foam from the right foam suppliers. Although there are a number of places that provides thin memory foam, it is best to choose one that are at least 4 inches thick. If necessary, go for double sheeted foam.
- Make Sure it Fits well - No matter how good the quality of the memory foam is, it should fit well into your bed. If the edges need to be trimmed, you can use a serrated knife or a utility knife to cut them down. In case your delivery has been via mail, wait till you actually get the product and it fits well. Again, this is very important because you do not want some ill-fitted memory foam that becomes very difficult to use.
- The Final Touch - At this point of time, you are almost done. Yet, you need to look into a little more detailing. You have your memory foam ready now and you need to place the support foam first followed by the memory foam. If you have a specialized mattress cover, use it to get the final look. Otherwise, if you do not have special mattress sheets, then use the normal bed sheets that are available for covering up the bed. Also, after you have finished arranging the bed, keep your window open for a sufficient amount of time so that you can get rid of the smell of the foam.
Thus, if you are a little active and familiar with the usage of some basic tools, you will be just fine with making memory foam. So, don’t sit and brood about whether you can do it or not. Start with it and you will do the work well. One word of caution here – if you are a smoker, then it would be wise to remember that foam mattresses are highly flammable.
B. Lyttle is a freelance writer and a home improvement expert. She recommends that you try technical foam services if this doesn’t seem to be your cup of tea.