>> Mar 31, 2016
Having diabetes is an unfortunate thing but it doesn’t always have to be hard. Diabetes is a part of life, it could be genetic or developed over the years but at the end of the day, it is manageable. While there are a myriad of highly effective medicine for diabetes in the market, it is a known fact that “an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure” after all.
|Img src: montereybayholistic.files.wordpress.com|
Here are some ways to help people with diabetes live the “sweet” life, and in this case, sweet means healthy!
1. Try to shed some pounds – Having a more normal body mass index helps regulate blood sugar levels. Regulating sugar levels can help manage or even assuage the effects of diabetes.
2. Monitor blood sugar level – Doctors will often advise their patients about the so-called “safe zones” in blood sugar levels. Monitoring blood sugar levels will not only alert the patient, it would also help prevent future diabetes attacks from happening.
3. Constant blood tests – There are different types of diabetes and every type has their own method of treatments. First determine what is the type of diabetes that your patient is suffering from. Doing so will not only prepare them on how to live their life, it will also help the doctor that is treating them of their illness. Constant blood tests will also help regulate blood sugar levels as well as granting both the doctor and the patient the advantage of knowing how to move forward with the disease.
4. Manage intake of carbs – Constant intake of carbs is actually detrimental for people who suffer from diabetes. Carbs are actually converted to sugar during the process of digestion and more sugar is definitely not a good thing for diabetics.
In lieu of carbohydrates, the patient should instead opt for high-fiber carbs as they are healthier. Some examples include green vegetables, fruit and whole grains.
5. Monitor blood pressure and cholesterol – Diabetes raises the risk of heart related problems. This can be avoided by watching what the patients eat. A reduction in their intake of cholesterol is highly recommended.
6. Exercise – Diabetics and healthy people should always exercise or at least whenever possible. Exercise not only helps manage diabetes, it also helps make the body stronger to better suit it to fight diseases and raise the chances of living a longer, fuller life.
7. Sleep – Sleep deprivation leads to eating problems and heart related diseases. Diabetics should make it a point to sleep a full sleep at night as well as maybe some naps in the afternoon whenever possible. Sleep relaxes the body as well as starts the reproduction of healthy cells which help immunize the body. Basically speaking, more sleep = healthier and more active body.
There are a lot of other ways to help manage diabetes but the best way to go about this all is through giving the patient all the love and care that they need. Accompany them in the fight against diabetes whenever possible.
Join them on their new healthier diets as well as their daily exercise are both good ways to gainfully manage diabetes. Simply put, one of the greatest treatments that a family member or close friend can give their loved one suffering from diabetes is love and affection.
Kimberly Marie Gayeta (Kimmy)is a Communications Degree holder, passionate writer, currently working as a local Public Relations Officer and an online Marketing Representative.
Thoroughly fascinated about travelling, leisure, and living the good life!
Follow her on twitter: @kimmygayeta