>> Apr 5, 2017
Caffeine is considered as a part of our everyday lives since it is usually found in the most common beverage that people drink every day, which is coffee. Actually, a lot of people are drinking coffee because coffee is a perfect way to keep you going throughout the day.
There are many benefits of caffeine and is even considered as a wonder drug. Caffeine primarily works as a powerful stimulant of the central nervous system. Because of this action, caffeine is classified as a psychoactive drug, since it stimulates the nervous system. Actually, caffeine is even considered as the world's widely used drug because of its effects in the body. Invest in a high-quality coffee maker if you want to start your day with a caffeinated drink.
In this article, I will inform you about the many benefits of caffeine and some of its negative effects.
Benefits of Caffeine
1. According to research, caffeine can help in reducing the risk for degenerative diseases of the brain such as Parkinson’s disease. Actually, a recent research has revealed it as a potential treatment for Parkinson’s disease.
2. When you consume regular cups of coffee, which contains caffeine, you are less likely to develop gallstones. Caffeine will stimulate contraction of your gall bladder.
3. Caffeine can relieve headache pain by constricting blood vessels.
4. Caffeine aids in weight loss. This is good news to those battling with obesity. Caffeine reduced weight by helping you burn fat.
5. Caffeine improves physical performance. Studies show that this wonder drug can improve your physical performance by 11-12%! This seems a joke but it’s actually true. Do you know how? Well, caffeine, as mentioned above, increases fat burning. When fat is burned, it’s readily available as fuel. Also, this substance is associated with increased levels of Adrenaline in your blood. This hormone makes you ready for any flight or fight.
6. Coffee which mostly contains caffeine can reduce the risk of developing diabetes type 2. To your surprise, the reduction can be as high as 67%. Diabetes is a chronic illness affecting millions of people worldwide.
7. Your liver is protected when you consume 4 or more cups of coffee. The liver is one of the main organs of the body which regulates metabolism among other many functions. Coffee can prevent liver diseases like hepatitis and cirrhosis.
8. Caffeine has been associated with decreased risk of developing cancer. Cancer is another chronic illness which involves uncontrolled growth of body cells. When you take 4-5 cups of coffee, you will be at a lower risk of lung and liver cancer.
9. Caffeine lowers the risk of developing heart diseases like stroke. Are you surprised? Actually many people believe that caffeine increases blood pressure. This is actually true but the effect is minimal. When you drink coffee regularly, you will have a 20% lower risk of developing stroke.
However, if your blood pressure rises and remains elevated for some time, you may need to stop drinking coffee and consult your doctor.
10. Lastly, caffeine improves energy levels and can make you smart. Well, I know many people know this effect but, do you know how it works? Actually, caffeine is a stimulant and is considered a psychoactive substance. It blocks Adenosine which is a neurotransmitter and this in turn, increases other hormones like dopamine and norepinephrine. These hormones improve mood, memory, energy levels, and cognitive function.
Negative effects of Caffeine
With so many benefits, this psychoactive substance has its negative effects. They include;
1. It has been associated with osteoporosis which is a condition causing reduction of bone density.
2. Caffeine can lead to diabetes. When you take daily caffeinated drinks, you are at risk of hyperglycaemia which can lead to diabetes.
3. Caffeine interferes with sleep patterns and can lead to insomnia. This leads to fatigue during the day.
4. It can lead to addiction. When you take caffeine daily, its tolerance in your body is reduced. You will be required to increase the amount to achieve the same effect.
5. Caffeine can cause dehydration. It’s a diuretic substance which increases urination. Dehydration can land you in the hospital, so beware!
As you have read, caffeine really qualifies for the name “wonder drug”. It has many benefits and also negative effects. You can control or prevent the negative effects by taking small amounts of drinks containing the substance.