>> Mar 23, 2013
It is easy to succumb to the common belief that all fats are bad. However there is a substantial difference between good fats and bad fats. Healthy consumption of good fats can actually help to lose weight along with other health benefits. Bad fats not only prompt weight gain, they can contribute to catastrophic health issues.
Healthy Fats include:
· Extra-virgin Olive oil
· Flax seed oil
Bad fats, saturated fats, are the ones to be avoided. Artery-clogging fats are likely to be more solid at room temperature. Indulging on bad fats raises your LDL (low-density lipoprotein) which can harden your arteries and prompts atherosclerosis.
Too many bad fats can also result in:
· Heart disease
Products containing saturated fats include:
· Hard cheese
· Red meat
· Coconut & Palm Oil
REPLACING BAD FOR GOOD
There is a simple formula to avoid over-consumption of saturated fats and that is swapping the bad fats for good fats. Here are five lifestyle changes that you can apply to your everyday diet.
1. Cut back on red meat and replace with fish.
2. Use liquid plant oils for cooking and baking. Oils such as Extra-virgin Olive oil and canola oil are rich in unsaturated fats. Use these oils in your salad dressings to assist in nutrient absorption.
3. Eliminate alcohol and sugary drinks. Replace with water or fresh juices
4. Cut back on dairy products. Replace cream with skim milk, ice-cream with Sheep’s yoghurt and butter with margarine or coconut butter
5. Eliminate trans fat. In the supermarket, read the label to find foods that are trans fat free. The label will say ‘0’ on the line for trans fat.
It is evident to see the difference between a healthy layer of plump fat and an excessive amount of fat. Visceral Fat (hard fat) is located deep within the abdominal cavity between internal organs. Older men in particular have high amounts of Visceral Fat.. This is prompted by an over-consumption of calories and saturated fats. The reason this is so evident in older men is their higher intake of alcoholic beverages containing saturated fats. Beverages such as beer, Piña Colada and Horchata all contain bad fats.
Soft squishy pudge is filled with unsaturated fats. When your body fats make a transition from hard to soft, it actually means that you’re losing weight. Soft fats are not a negative thing to have framing your figure.
Start your lifestyle change today. Tell us which bad fats are you eliminating from your diet and what good fats will you be replacing them with.
Article by Jessica Josh about Dr G's which is one of the leading weight loss centres in Sydney. Jessica is a freelance writer from Australia who loves writing about nutrition and health related topics. Head over to the website for more info about nutrition.